Hang of Thursdays

"It must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Yay for Scrabble!

Yay for Mr. Butts!

From The Writer's Almanac:
It's the birthday of the man who invented the game Scrabble, Alfred M. Butts, born in Poughkeepsie, New York (1899). He trademarked the game in 1949. For the first few years, only a few thousand copies of the game were sold, but in the 1950s the president of Macy's played the game on vacation and got hooked. He ordered more for his store, and Scrabble became a great success.

The game has been beloved by many writers, including the novelist Vladimir Nabokov, who had a special Russian version made for himself and his wife.


I love Scrabble. Earlier this week, I found this shirt on CafePress I thought was pretty cool. (While looking for it again, I found even more Scrabble apparel and a bumper sticker.) I had wanteed to make the table numbers at my wedding big Scrabble letters, but that was vetoed. Apparently it didn't really fit with the theme...

1 Comments:

Blogger Chancy said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog driftwoodinspiration. And double thanks for the heads up about "The Big Kahuana", one of my all time favorite films. I like Kevin Spacey in most anything. I did not know that was the movie that featured "Wear Sunscreen" over the closing credits.Thanks for the info

Chancy

4/19/2006 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home