Hang of Thursdays

"It must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Puppy love

Last night, I went for the second time with my coworker Amber and two of her dogs to a nursing home. Her dogs are certified therapy dogs, which means they are very well-behaved, even around unusual situations, smells, wheelchairs, and the like. Yet again, they were each very well behaved and the residents were delighted to see them. It's not everyday anyone gets to see such a beautiful whippet and great dane, and this is even more true for the residents. Many of them have owned dogs their entire lives, but had to give them up to move into the home, and any dog brings a familiarity and joy into their lives.
A National Geographic article talks about the benefits of therapy dogs. Dogs provide companionship, stability, comfort, and a host of other small joys. I won't have a dog for a couple years, but I look forward to it. Perhaps it will have the kind of temperment that will allow it to be a therapy dog. Regardless, I'm glad this can be a ministry of sorts for me now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home