Hang of Thursdays

"It must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Thursday, March 09, 2006

In Memory

I have been blessed to only lose one friend close enough to me for me to feel the need to mourn. Yet, this mourning time didn't come until two and a half years after her death. See, she was a friend who I lost contact with when I moved 5 years ago. I heard about her death and I think was shaken up, but I didn't taken time to process it.

Today my dad found a guestbook linked to her obituary from July 18, 2003 and he sent me the link. As I began to read what people have written, even this year, about her, I began to remember times spent with her at church. I broke down and cried hard for a while. I remembered her smile, her joy and her friendship.

I felt somewhat bad that just now I was mourning her. It's not like I didn't want to, I just hadn't given it thought or known enough about the situation. But I know that it doesn't matter how late it came or why it did, but that I did give it thought and I did give myself time to cry.

Rachael Koloroutis, this is for you:
In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again
I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen, I was sitting here in my office today on-line. Punching the name Koloroutis into google and looking here and looking there. I do that a lot because I am a man in constant pain. A pain that does not lessen but gets worse with each day. I guess I am searching for something when I am on-line. Today, I found some joy. Today, I found what you wrote about my daughter Rachael. Thanks for loving her.

5/06/2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, often search for news on my niece. Today I was doing so in hopes of finding out when the trial might start for her killer, Christine. Don't feel bad for mourning late; thank you for thinking of her and caring so much still, after all this time. Your words brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad to know there are still people out there who remember what a special, beautiful person she was and how bereft the world is without her.

3/07/2007 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home