Hang of Thursdays

"It must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Thursday, December 22, 2005

What is Heaven?

Barbara Walters asked the same question on Tuesday. Her answers were based on interviews with religious leaders from around the world. Religious topics, such as this, seem to be more and more prevalent in movies, books and our everyday conversations yet are starting to get pushed out of our schools and congressional sessions. Since blogs are still a place where we have free speech, I would like to give a quick answer to the question I posed in my title.

A few weeks ago at church the pastor talked about how Jesus makes all things new; healing the sick, restoring sight, bringing the dead to life and offering eternal life to a dead world. One day, He will make this world new, restoring it to the way it was before sin. I realized that if the new heaven and new earth were the perfection of what life in the garden, then heaven was not 24/7 playing harps and singing praise.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that we will glorify and praise God for eternity, but it won't be just by singing. Life in the garden of Eden was life with the added bonus of walking with God. Adam and Eve lived, named animals, played sports (I believe) and maybe wrote poems; all with God at their side. I think heaven will be no different. Just as we have gifts that glorify God while we are on earth, there will be things that we can do to glorify God other than singing. For starters, there are houses that need living in!

No, it will not be boring and full of singing. Things will be restored and we shall live fully, as we were intended to, in the complete presence of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home