Hang of Thursdays

"It must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Thursday, November 17, 2005

lifespace

I was playing with the always-amusing 'Next Blog' button at the top of the page, and came across LifeSpace: "The Practice of Life with God"
From the site:
We believe this life should be an existence in which knowledge of God and trust in God are reflected in the expansive experience of living. There is nothing small or limiting in our God. Life with Him should be a huge gulp of fresh air. Like an ever-expanding sphere, life is a space for unending, unbounded delight in the infinite glory of our Creator.
...
The central question for expansive life is “What do I love?” A suffocating, inward gaze must shift to an outward view of God’s glorious perfections. As our gaze rests upon God, we are moved to worship and love the person of God for His own sake. We shun the profane in favor of the truly beautiful. Enabled by the Spirit to see God more clearly, we experience ever-increasing delight in the glorious God.

'Who do I love?' Who do I give my time and energy to? Where is it that my heart resides? These are hard questions, and I don't like the answers my heart gives me, if I'm honest. I want to love God better.
My church has a worship service, Sojourn, that is 'experiential' in that the audience will have a discussion time with a moderator on the topic of the day, or we wil be invited to draw or write our meditations during a quiet time of the service, and communion, art, and prayer stations in the room are opened during the whole service for anyone to go back and worship in the way that suits them best. I have really appreciated the service, it has opened my eyes to other ways to worship and really freed me- given me 'permission'- to be creative and worship God with all of me, not just singing or listening to a sermon.
We're doing a series on the Psalms, and during the last Sojourn service I was at, we had a time to write or draw and meditate on a Psalm. I opened to Psalm 39, and paraphrased it as it spoke to me:

"I will live righteously, do what is good
Speak the right words and all that"
When I sit and say nothing, do nothing,
My heart hurts.
I must cry out.
And so I speak

"God, I need you. I need your guidance, I need your plan. I need you in my life in a real way. I know my life will fly by, and you know every nanosecond of it.
Be with me.
Let me not labor in vain."

Where can I look? Where can I hope?
I must trust you.
Hear me, and never let me go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joanna:
Joni here. One of the co-founders of LifeSpace. You mentioned our website in a Nov. blog. So glad you found it helpful as you think about life with God. We have updated quite a few items on the site. Check out the Forum page at www.lifespaceonline.com. All the images on that page will lead you into blogs and interactive .net forums. May God bring you delight!
Joni Powers

1/20/2006 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home